Skip to main content

A Boy and His Mom!

Lately I have been thinking about a book, my favorite childhood book. This book has helped me a lot over the years, if I am ever feeling down and blue, I read this book, and it helps me to remember how much I have been given. This book especially reminds me of my mom! I know she enjoys my company, and she has given me so much, and has made so many sacrifices not just me, but all my siblings and many others.
From this book I have learned that the activities which we do with those we love don’t matter too much, but the time we spend with them do.
So now I want to thank my mom for all the great time we have spent together! Started about 22 years ago. I spent about 9 months with her, nagging her here and there when I was hungry. Giving her a “gentle” kick when I was excited for no reason. After those 9 months of darkness for me, she went through the greatest pain known to man for many hours for me! I grew up, learned to walk, to talk, and to eat! During all this she was continually looking over me, brushing off the dirt, cleaning my ever messy face, and teaching me how to be a better person. I spent almost every day with her, then it seemed like I started growing up faster and faster. Ended up in school, getting confused over these things called words, and always asking my mom for help with my “country English!”
 I then got into the school for big kids, and got a job. Being away from home for most of the day and most of the week. I then grew up even more, and was asked to go away from my family for 2 years. I was asked to teach others how they could get the opportunity to live with their families for more than just this mortal life. Teaching them how to forgive and forget others mistakes, and help them to come closer as a family. All these things my mom taught me these many years. Now I am home, getting to spend that much needed time with my mom.
In these next few years I will grow old, and have to move out, but I know that I will always be able to return to spend time with my mom. I will be able to borrow her apples, branches, trunk and stump. The book that I so loved as a child is “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein. In this book the tree gives up much for this “boy.” She gives him apples, her branches and trunk. She last of all gives him a place to rest his old frail body.
These different things the tree gives to this boy is very symbolic. The apples stand for our wants, the boy wanted to make money, so she gives him her apples to take to the city to sell. The boy then returns saying that he wants to start a family and needs a home. So she gives him her branches, his needs, so that he can build a home for his future family can stay in. Many years later the boy returns, saying he isn’t that happy and that he wants a boat to go far away. So the tree then gives him her trunk so he can make a boat. The trunk represents the value of work and the rewards of hard work. After many years the boy comes back, now old and very tired. The tree says she has nothing to give him, and he says that he doesn’t need anything except a place to rest. So the tree gives all that she has left, her love for him.
Our mothers have been through a lot, they have been through the drama of life. They have felt the pains of this world. They have seen much sorrow in their lives and our lives. They have had to deal with the immatureness of our dads! I don’t know how they have been able to withstand all this madness, but I am grateful for what my mom has and is continually doing for me!

Thank you mom for your heart full of love. Thank you for being the best teacher I have ever had! Thank you for being there when I am in the most need. Thank you for helping me to love others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting on the "Whole" Armor of God

Lately, I have been thinking of putting on the whole Armor of God. I remember watching a video in seminary where it showed some young men in armor and how some of them decided to remove their armor because it was uncomfortable and they needed a rest from it. When they least expected, they were attacked and those who had kept on their armor were able to defend off the attack. Some of those who had removed their armor weren't quite as lucky.  Today we live in an age of increasing dangers, not only physical dangers but spiritual and mental dangers as well. Let's take a look at the different parts of the Armor of God: Loins: Our loins must be girt about with truth. Why is it our loins that should have truth and not our head? I feel this is because there are so many eternal truths about how we are God's children and how the powers to procreate is an eternal law.  Chest: We must have the breastplate of righteousness. The breastplate is what covers our vital organs, most important

How hammocking can increase your faith

This past week I asked one of my friends what I should write about, and they told me hammocking. So here is my input on the adventures of hammocking. Hammocking has become quite a popular way to "hang" out with your friends. I have now enjoyed hammocking a couple times now and I am already hooked. But what does hammocking have to do with the gospel, well let me tell you. There are two types of hammocking, first is personal hammocking, this one you do by yourself, usually spent reading a book, enjoying nature or taking a nap. The other is social hammocking, this one is spent with others, you are interacting and getting to know one another. Just like going to church, you are able to learn and grow together. Hammocking helps you to live a more elevated life. You can set up your hammock as high as you want, you can be sitting on the ground, near the top a 100-foot tree or anywhere in between. For some being so high in the air helps them feel closer to God, just like in ancient

5 Way to Show Our Love for God

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like, unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." All Christians have heard these verse of scriptures, but how many actually follow these two commandments? We should all know that Christ has said that "If ye love me, keep my commandments." So we should know how to follow the first great commandment, but how do we follow the second one? How do we love our neighbor? How do we love our neighbor when our neighbor doesn't love us? How do we love our neighbor when they believe in something we don't? I say in order for us to love our neighbor we must learn how to follow the second part of the second greatest commandment. Let's look at it another time, "Tho

Tender Mercies