Skip to main content

Who has influenced you in your life?

Steve Dalton and his wife
Recently my swim coach from high school announced his retirement. After 48 years of coaching, he has decided to throw in the towel. This man had a great influence on me, helped me shape who I am today. It has really gotten me thinking, how many people have I influenced? There are some people which we know we have influenced because they have told us, but what about the people who we have but haven't told us?
I would like to tell you about an amazing man, a man who passed away this last year. Steve Dalton was a mighty man in the faith. I was on my mission, I was still in my first area, and having a really rough time. Steve Dalton was the stake president of the district I was in. Every month he would have all of us missionaries over for breakfast, this breakfast was amazing! But it wasn't the breakfast which had the biggest impact on me, it was what he did for me the very last time I was in his home. After breakfast, we would have a gospel discussion, after this last time I was the last one to step out of the house, before he let me leave he grabbed me, pulled me in for a close hug, and whispered in my ear saying, "I love you!" That was exactly what I needed to hear, it wasn't just President Dalton telling me he loves me, it was God telling me too.
The entire year before my mission I spent teaching swim lessons. There was this girl named Emily who I taught all year long. She had some mental disorder, I never knew which one one it was, but she had a huge impact on my life. I was teaching level 2 and she kept failing the class, I kept thinking of how I could teach her differently. She would swim perfectly in shallow water, but once she gets into water over her head she freaks out. A lot of kids work well when I am right beside them, Emily was different though, I had to be in front of her, leading the way and letting her follow. I didn't tell her she could swim I showed her. I saw the change happen in her eyes, seeing the fear leave her eyes replaced with excitement. I'll never forget the day which I got to see Emily pass level 2.
These are just a few people who have influenced me, people who have changed my life. I know we all have these kinds of people in our lives, some have moved away and some have passed away. I have always wondered how it will be going through the veil, seeing our family, seeing those we love, and people we have influenced. But I also think there will be many people there who influenced us there, some who know influenced us, and others not knowing exactly why they needed to be at your homecoming. Just picture it now, you are in heaven, minding your own business and God walks up to you telling you that you need to hurry up and get to the veil, there is someone important you need to meet. You get there just in time to see this person walk through the veil, start hugging your family, and then next they come hugging you, crying all over you. You don't know who this person is, they look familiar, but you still don't know who they are. They tell you about the day they decided they didn't want to live no more, they were going to take their life, but you noticed them, you said hi to them, which caused them to feel loved which changed their mind about ending their life.
We think we can't make a difference, I say that is the biggest lie from Satan. We think we need to do some great big thing to influence those around us, but I have learned it is the small and simple things which bring great things to pass. It is smiling at
someone, listening, caring and loving. Sometimes it is holding open a door for someone, or maybe letting someone merge in front of you in traffic. You never know who you will save today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting on the "Whole" Armor of God

Lately, I have been thinking of putting on the whole Armor of God. I remember watching a video in seminary where it showed some young men in armor and how some of them decided to remove their armor because it was uncomfortable and they needed a rest from it. When they least expected, they were attacked and those who had kept on their armor were able to defend off the attack. Some of those who had removed their armor weren't quite as lucky.  Today we live in an age of increasing dangers, not only physical dangers but spiritual and mental dangers as well. Let's take a look at the different parts of the Armor of God: Loins: Our loins must be girt about with truth. Why is it our loins that should have truth and not our head? I feel this is because there are so many eternal truths about how we are God's children and how the powers to procreate is an eternal law.  Chest: We must have the breastplate of righteousness. The breastplate is what covers our vital organs, most important

How hammocking can increase your faith

This past week I asked one of my friends what I should write about, and they told me hammocking. So here is my input on the adventures of hammocking. Hammocking has become quite a popular way to "hang" out with your friends. I have now enjoyed hammocking a couple times now and I am already hooked. But what does hammocking have to do with the gospel, well let me tell you. There are two types of hammocking, first is personal hammocking, this one you do by yourself, usually spent reading a book, enjoying nature or taking a nap. The other is social hammocking, this one is spent with others, you are interacting and getting to know one another. Just like going to church, you are able to learn and grow together. Hammocking helps you to live a more elevated life. You can set up your hammock as high as you want, you can be sitting on the ground, near the top a 100-foot tree or anywhere in between. For some being so high in the air helps them feel closer to God, just like in ancient

5 Way to Show Our Love for God

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like, unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." All Christians have heard these verse of scriptures, but how many actually follow these two commandments? We should all know that Christ has said that "If ye love me, keep my commandments." So we should know how to follow the first great commandment, but how do we follow the second one? How do we love our neighbor? How do we love our neighbor when our neighbor doesn't love us? How do we love our neighbor when they believe in something we don't? I say in order for us to love our neighbor we must learn how to follow the second part of the second greatest commandment. Let's look at it another time, "Tho

Tender Mercies